Tracey Mustacchio PhotoRES had its start over 15 years ago when our Founder and CTO, Bob Janssen, had the idea to fix some big gaps in the way desktop technology platforms deal with their users. Basically…

How Does IT Make Changes To Desktop Technologies Without Disrupting The People Who Use Them?

I spent my summers mowing my family lawn. IiStock_000002080216_Smallf I needed to fix my lawnmower, I could take it to a shop or ask my dad for help. Then I just wouldn’t mow the lawn for a few days. But IT doesn’t have that option. It’s there to empower business productivity, not disrupt it. And nothing empowers a good worker more than having an incredible, state-of-the-art digital workspace at his or her fingertips.

Bob solved the problem he was working on all those years ago. It’s an elegant and highly evolved solution that we now call RES ONE Workspace. It separates the workers’ digital workspaces (which is what their “desktops” have become) from the management technologies that create and sustain them. This allows IT to tinker as much as it wants without disrupting the workers.

You can call it UEM, profile management, workspace virtualization, or even UE-V. It’s a tremendous technology, and I believe our product, RES ONE Workspace, is the best of its kind.

But is that all?

Is UEM Really Just A Solution To An Age-Old Problem?

Recently, I spent a day with a room full of IT executives with different roles from different companies, industries, countries, and challenges. While they all use RES technology, it’s not to solve the same problems. However, they all had a united point of view. Here are a couple of examples.

A Simple User Experience
A hospital, and 15 year RES customer, is committed to keeping the user experience simple. They have evolved with RES
because we’ve grown from just a workspace technology to a powerful driver of operational excellence by automating common IT practices and offering self-service. To them, it makes no sense at all to spend valuable IT talent on password resets and other mundane tasks. Instead, RES has enabled them to continue recreating IT as a driver and enabler of value for their hospital and its patients.

Automated Onboarding & Off-boarding of Workers
Another customer first brought in RES to solve a very specific problem of managing workspaces at individual retail stores with disparate databases. Once they began to work with the technology they saw its potential including how it could solve one of their toughest problems: automating the onboarding and off-boarding of their high turnover staff while integrating with their HRIS.

Building on the Foundation

These are just a couple of use cases and, on that day in a Florida conference room, I heard a dozen more. They demonstrate that RES ONE Workspace is a powerful and flexible a foundational technology. Our customers are building on it because it gives them tremendous flexibility to keep up with business changes while keeping their workers provisioned regardless of when, where or how they’re accessing the digital workspaces that keep them continuously productive.

But doing all this is a tall order. IT must be able to:

  • Predict what services a worker should be able to access based on when, where and how they’re gaining that access
  • Deliver that service cost effectively and securely, while meeting the most stringent regulatory requirements
  • Couple that predictive service delivery with a friendly self-service option for workers to ensure that no stone is left unturned.

It’s activating the 80/20 rule. IT predicting 80% of what every individual worker will need based on available data with the other 20% accessed through self-service by the worker.

This is what RES does today. And it’s possible because the cornerstone of our solution is the software that Bob began writing 15 years ago and has continued to innovate with automation and orchestration capabilities. Today the RES ONE Suite – consisting of RES ONE Workspace, RES ONE Automation and RES ONE Service Store – empowers incredible OpEx and lowers the barriers between IT and the business.

Keep going yellow line is on the asphalt road.

So back to the original question…Is UEM a destination? Our customers see it as part of the journey towards something much greater. And we’re proud to put our company squarely behind their vision.